History of Turner Apartments
The Turner Apartments is a landmark building in Gainesville, located just west of the Santa Fe Depot.
Originally built in 1884 by David H. Turner, the initial plans for the building were for a six bedroom retirement home at the corner of California and Jefferson Streets - but it soon became another hotel. The 1 1/2 story framed hotel stood for more than 40 years before being torn down.
The structure was torn down in 1927 and replaced with a six story brick hotel. The new Turner Hotel was completed on May 23, 1928. Amenities within the hotel included a cafe, barber shop, and something that was very rare at the time... a telephone in every room. Over the years it was added onto a number of times bringing the total number of rooms to 40. It was delightful and popular place to stay in the late 1800's and the early 1900's.
Since 1979, the Turner Hotel has been owned and operated by the Gainesville Housing Authority. It was completely remodeled in 1981 and re-opened as an active adult community with 48 apartments. Each of the 48 apartments offers a nice living space with bedroom, bath and kitchen. Each floor is beautifully decorated in keeping with the architectural period.
In the last several years, tourism has brought renewed prosperity to the area. The return of Amtrak on June 14, 1999, brought Gainesville back full circle to one of the original sources of its growth and success. In the early 1990's, Gainesville had 600 businesses and a population of 14,587. As of 2013, the population was 16,030.
Turner Hotel - Then
Turner Apartments - Now